The Vision of IIEST, Shibpur is to become one of the best Institutes in the world in providing the state-of-the art multi-disciplinary research ambience that will usherinnovative world-class technologies developed towards realizing the goal of Developed India.
Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur owes its origin to the erstwhile Bengal Engineering College, the history of which goes to the nineteenth century when industries in the sense we understand today, were practically absent. Prompted by the idea of meeting requirement of trained engineering personnel for the Public Works Department, the then council of Education, Bengal, decided to open Civil Engineering classes and a Professorship in Civil Engineering was created at Hindu College, Calcutta, in the year 1843-44. A College of Engineering was started by the name of Civil Engineering College on 24th November, 1856, in the premises of the Writers Building, Calcutta. With the establishment of Calcutta University on January 24, 1857, the college was affiliated to this university in May 1857. The first-degree examination in Bachelors of Civil Engineering was held in 1864 in which only 2 students graduated. In 1880, the college was shifted to its present campus at Shibpur, Howrah, and was christened the 'Government College, Howrah,' in the premises of Bishop's College. It started imparting training in Civil as well as Mechanical Engineering. The college became wholly residential from the year 1889.
1. Some of the frequent recruiters are Veritas Technologies LLC, PWC, Maruti, Microsoft, Infosys, IBM, Wipro, Adobe, Hindusthan Unilever, Cognizant etc. 2. The institute has international collaboration for academics with famous universities like- University of Pennsylvania (USA), University of Windsor,Canada, University of Cambridge,UK etc. 3. The Institute library has the distinction of being one of the oldest and the largest resourceful technical library in the south-east Asia. The total area of the library is around 3,000 square meters.