To be a global, socially conscious Center of Excellence in the conservation, creation, Advancement and dissemination of knowledge.
The Savitribai Phule Pune University (formerly known as University of Poona) was established on 10th February 1949 under the Poona University Act, passed by the Bombay Legislature in 1948. In the same year, Dr. M. R. Jayakar assumed office as the first vice chancellor of the University.
Shri B.G.Kher, Chief Minister and Education Minister, Govt. of Bombay, took a keen interest in setting apart a beautiful campus for the University. As a result of his efforts, a campus extending over 411 acres was allocated to the University in early 1949, on lease of 999 years without any premium and payment of nominal lease rent of ₹ One per annum. Payment of certain taxes such as N.A. Tax etc have also been waived.
Initially the University had a jurisdiction extending over 12 districts of Western Maharashtra. However, with the establishment of the Shivaji University, Kolhapur, in 1964, the jurisdiction of the University was restricted to 5 districts, namely Pune, Ahmednagar, Nasik, Dhule and Jalgaon. Out of these, two districts - Dhule and Jalgaon are attached to the North Maharashtra University established in August 1990.
During the year 1949, there were only 18 colleges affiliated to the University, with an enrollment of over 8000 students. Thereafter, the number of colleges increased, and in 1994-95, the University had 41 post-graduate departments, 209 affiliated colleges and 118 recognized research institutions, with an enrollment of 1,70,000 students for both the under-graduate and post-graduate courses in different faculties.
1. Savitribai Phule Pune University also has a Study Abroad Program with foreign Universities.
2. Round the clock medical facilities are available on the Campus for the resident staff and students, providing routine medical facilities.
International Students centerThe International Students' Center operates the International Transit House, and the International Students Hostel. Work has begun to construct an International Research Center.