The Vision is to establish global leadership in the field of Technology and develop competent human resources for providing service to society.
Established in 1887, the V. J. T. Institute started with only two departments, namely the Sir J. J. School of Mechanical Engineering and the Ripon Textile School for the two branches of industry in which Bombay was vitally interested at the time. The aim was to with a desire to meet the technical manpower requirements of Bombay. The first step in the expansion of the Institute was taken in 1903 when courses in Electrical Engineering were introduced. The Technical & Applied Chemistry Department was added in 1906 which was followed in 1914 by the Department of Sanitary Engineering. In 1913 by G. R. No. 1850 of 27th June, the institute was recognised by the Government of Bombay as the Central Technological Institute, Bombay Province.
1. Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute was ranked 95 among engineering colleges by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018.
2. VJTI was conferred with the title of Knowledge Partner for the upcoming Centre of Excellence Of Sports Textiles of Government of India.